Sonntag, 11. November 2012

You Are What You Eat

It is amazing how after weeks, months of eating semi-health conscious-and predominantly vegan, one weekend of meat filled foods does not make you feel good. I have talked before how I'm enjoying the veganing, and at least mostly eating healthy meals-but a couple of weeks ago I went to go visit my grandmother, and it seemed easier for her to just leave my diet as it always was, eating whatever she put on the table. After the first 24 hours I felt tired and sluggish, and by the time I got back to my own place I was simply exhausted. I have not needed so many naps, and so many hours of sleep in the lasts months as I needed that weekend, so I guess the saying "you are what you eat" rings true. I am not saying that vegan is the one and only answer to healthy happy living, but I am saying that a diet high in fruits and vegetables is.
In order to eat such a diet, I have started browsing the frozen vegetable section as well as finding cheap but good fresh produce. Most of my produce comes from a little lebanese shop down the street from me, but if I want more variety I will have to go to the local market-good thing that it runs three days a week! Though, I have learned that frozen is also good, and sometimes even better. For instance, I have recently acquired a taste for brussels sprouts-yes I know shocking. But these little beasts are hard to cook, and if you do it wrong they taste bitter-however, if you have frozen brussels sprouts it takes away all of the bitterness as they have been pre-cooked in a certain way. Let me just tell y'all yummm-o.
Another thing, when eating well-and mostly vegan is that I have to constantly cook. Cooking on my current schedule is not really easy, but I do have a favorite new meal that is quick easy and extremely filling. Whenever I do not know what to do, or I'm in a time crunch I make myself peanut butter sauce with broccoli, brussels sprouts and spaghettis, and when I have them I toast some fresh peanuts-it is one of the most delicious and easy meals to make!!!!
That's all for now


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen